You have been injured at work and can’t work anymore. You may be unauthorized to work in the United States and you do not have a Social Security card. The most important thing is to know your rights. Are you entitled to workers’ compensation benefits under Illinois Law?

Hurt on the Job

If you are injured at work, you may be entitled to compensation under the Illinois workers’ compensation benefits system.

  • Under most circumstances, your employer is required to have workers’ compensation insurance.
  • If your employer has workers’ compensation, they are required to post informational material about it.
  • You may be eligible for compensation.

Authorized or Unauthorized to work in the United States

If you are hurt on the job and are not authorized to work in the United States (and therefore do not have a Social Security Number [SSN]), Workers’ compensation may still be available to you in Illinois under 820 ILCS 305/1(b)2. However, Federal laws can affect what benefits you receive. Workers may receive benefits for retraining, medical care, replacement income, and other costs associated with workplace injuries.

If you are injured, your claim may come under any of six primary types of Illinois workers’ compensation benefits:

  • Medical Expense Benefits
  • Temporary Total Disability (TTD)
  • Temporary Partial Disability (TPD)
  • Permanent Partial Disability (PPD)
  • Permanent Total Disability (PTD)
  • Death Benefits

Learn more in our previous article about types of Illinois workers’ compensation.

Fear of Employer Retaliation

Under both Illinois and Federal workers’ compensation laws, employers are prohibited from discriminating against an employee for exercising their right for workers’ compensation.

  • You have the right not to be harassed or bullied by your employer because of exercising your rights under workers’ compensation laws.
  • You have the right not to be charged for workers’ compensation benefits or premiums.

Filing a claim

If you are eligible to file a workers compensation claim, the process can be very complicated and time consuming, especially for an immigrant. There are many steps in the workers’ compensation process requiring skill and knowledge to maneuver through the process while ensuring that you receive the benefits that you are entitled to. If you are authorized or unauthorized to work in the United States, you need an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer to ensure that you are receiving the benefits you deserve while staying in this country. Contact us or call 773-522-7000 for a free consultation.

Get Legal Help
close slider
  • :